Autumn Brew Review
September 8, 2001
Attending: Adam Rynkiewich, Bryan Curtis, Don Osborn
The tasted beers I recorded (incomplete list):
-Schell’s Smhamltz’s Alt
-Capital Brewery – 1900 (Pilsner): avg. pils
-Capital Brewery – WI Amber: forgettable
-Fitger’s Brewhouse – Apricot wheat: smelled better than it tasted
-Granite City Food and Brewery- Brother Benedicts:
-Great Waters Brewing- Brother Van Wie Belgian Dubbel: delicious. Strong. Unique.
-Hops Restarant, Bar and Brewery – Hefe Weizen: tastes like a HW all right.
-Jackson Brewing Co. – Nicie Spicie Wheat Beer: pepper taste. Strong. Good to sip but whole glass?
-Minneapolis Town Hall – Prosit! Oktoberfest: pretty good.
-Northwoods Brewing Corp, LLC – Floppin Crappie Ale: malty, sweet, Fat Tire
-Northwoods Brewing Corp, LLC – Autmn Orange Cream Soda: good stuff
-Pioneer and Wisconsin Brewing Cos. – Oscar’s Chocolate Oatmeal Stout: good. Not too choclately. Somewhat creamy.
-Rock Bottom – Saison Goux: Belgianny
-Sherlock’s Home – Bishop’s Bitter: not as good as before. Adam says clovey.
-Sprecher Brewing Company – Oktoberfest
-Barley John’s Brewpub – Wild Brunette: alcoholy –Adam
-Barley John’s Brewpub – Old Eight Porter: their insert said “meal in itself” and I said they’re right. Strong taste
-St. Croix Beer Company – St. Croix Maple Ale: not very good
-St. Croix Beer Company – Serrano Pepper Ale: interesting
-Steven’s Point Brewery – Bock: cheap beer taste but not undrinkable
-Viking Brewing Company – Whole Stein: enjoyable stout
-Water Tower Brewing – Old LS Barelywine – wonderful. Potent. Belgian. (note: this was my first Barleywine)
-White Winter Winery – Traditional Brackett: somewhere between mead and beer. Good.
-White Winter Winery – Sweet mead
-White Winter Winery – Dry mead: not as enjoyable as the sweet
I am pretty sure we tried more than this. We were not attempting to keep a complete list. Maybe this year we will do that. There are 25 listed above and we were only there about 6 hours, so about 4 an hour. I think it was probably more like 5 an hour, but at a 2-3 ounce sample that is a pretty moderate pace.
Autumn Brew Review #2
Sept 7, 2002
Attending: Adam Rynkiewich, Bruce Holmberg, Jeff Gauss, Bruce Paulson, Brian Holmberg, Rob Hoff. Sampled 47 brews, some samples just being a sip of someone else’s glass.
-Barley John’s Brewpub –Big Nick’s Belgium Ale: strong, sweet, quite good.
-Fitger’s Brewhouse, Brewery, and Grill –Witchtree ESB: good, sweet, nice beer
-Fitger’s Brewhouse, Brewery, and Grill –Raspberry Trail Ale: fine. Real raspberries, nice.
-Fitger’s Brewhouse, Brewery, and Grill –El Nino IPA: dry hopped and hop bitterness. Good.
-Granite City Food and Brewery – Dear Abbey: kind of sweet. Belgian. Not bad.
-Granite City Food and Brewery –Jalapenio Ale: hot. Warm aftertaste. Interesting.
-Granite City Food and Brewery –Pride of Pilsner: good. Like the German Pils I bought.
-Granite City Food and Brewery –Ginger Porter: good ginger aroma. Not so hot on ginger in taste but It’s there. From liter swing-top bottle.
-Granite City Food and Brewery- Cherry Chocolate Stout: pretty good. Noticeable cherry flavor from fresh cherries?
-Great Waters Brewing Company – Capitol ESB on cask: fine. Can’t tell.
-Green Mill Brewing Company – Hefeweizen: good. Like a hefe. Served w/slice of lemon.
-Harwell’s Steakhouse and Brewery – Oktoberfest: not that good.
-Harwell’s Steakhouse and Brewery – B.O.B. –Big old Beer. (a hoppy American Pale Ale): quite good. More like an IPA. Good hop aroma.
-Hops Restaurant, Bar and Brewery – Red: fine good enough.
-Hops Restaurant, Bar and Brewery – Pale Ale: fine good enough.
-Hops Restaurant, Bar and Brewery – Octoberfest: good. Not great not bad.
-Mantorville Brewing Company – Golden Ale: brewed by Todd Malo. Both somewhat good and different. Enjoyable. Kind of tangy. Due to German yeast?
-Mantorville Brewing Company – Amber Ale.
-Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery- Spontaneous Aviator Peach Lambic: not sweet or sour enough.
-Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery- Dunkleweizen: good, sweet and wheat.
-Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery- Toothless Monk: quite good. Lot like ours.
-Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery- West Bank Pub Ale: good bitterness. Little strong.
-Northwoods Brewing Corp, LLC –Floppin Crappie Ale: fine light ale
-O’Hara’s Brew Pub and Restaurant- Dubbel Trouble: lots going on up front. Fruity? Zang. Good.
-O’Hara’s Brew Pub and Restaurant- Quarry Rock Red: drinkable. Nothing special. Not bad.
-Pioneer and Wisconsin Brewing Cos.-Black River Red: Marzen-Style Oktoberfest-too much bitterness and not sweet enough for style.
-Pioneer and Wisconsin Brewing Cos-Oscar’s Chocolate Oatmeal Stout: roasted, burnt taste, little bitter.
-Pioneer and Wisconsin Brewing Cos-Cranberry Special Ale: sweet fine cranberry taste.
-South Shore Brewery-Brown: sliver world beer cup. Good. Very drinkable.
-South Shore Brewery-Cream Ale: unique finish. Tunes out it’s lavender. Good.
-South Shore Brewery-Honey Pils: very good. Enjoyable.
-South Shore Brewery-Stout: malty, roasted, quite good.
-St. Croix Beer Company: Serrano Pepper Ale: nice pepper aroma. Warm aftertaste. Good to sample but whole bottle?
-Stevens Point Brewery-Wit Bier: ok. Not too strong. Fair.
-Viking Brewing Company-Vienna Woods: good. Sweet.
-Viking Brewing Company-Copper Head: good, sweet, nice.
-Viking Brewing Company-Whole Stein: same as last year. Tangy. Not bad.
-Viking Brewing Company-Berserk: barely wine. Horse blanket. Not bad.
-Viking Brewing Company-Honey Moon: good, sweet strong honey wine. More than mead. (Brackett)
-White Winter Winery-Dry mead: prefer sweet.
-White Winter Winery-Sweet mead: good.
-White Winter Winery-Blueberry Melomel: sweet, nice, enjoyable.
-White Winter Winery-Black Mead: wine aroma. Tastes like merlot.
-White Winter Winery-Strawberry melomel: strong alcohol taste. Dry?
-Bells-Brown: good. Hop. Sweet. Not really brown though.
-Bells-Double Cream Stout: tangy edge, at first liked, then got old.
-Bells-Batch 5000: 9%. 26% smoked malt. Very good. Big smoky, malty. Best of review.
BATE #2 01/19/03 Don’s house
Attending: Mike Marigold, his friend James, Jonathan Haynes, Peter Rasmussen, Pete May, Jeff Gauss, Bruce Paulson, Bruce Holmberg.
-Two Brothers IPA
-Summit Winter Ale
-Anchor Christmas Ale
-James Page Winter Warmer
-Pyramid Snow Cap Ale
-Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale
-Holiday Cheer (Don and Jeff’s homebrew)
-Anderson Valley Winter Solstice
-New Belgium Brewing Blue Paddle Pilsner Lager
-South Shore Honey Pilsner
-Lake Superior Brewing Special Ale
-Smooth Sailing Ale (Vine Park brewed)
-Bells Kalamazoo Stout
-Bells Java Stout
-South Shore Rhodes Scholar Stout
-Sweet Stout (Peter R’s homebrew)
-Imperial Stout (Don’s homebrew)
-Dogfish Head Raison D’Etre
-Anchor Steam clone (Don’s homebrew)
-Mead (Don and Jeff’s)
-Rhubarb Mead (Don and Jeff’s)
-Morland Hen’s Tooth
-Barleywine (Don’s homebrew)
-Barleywine (Pete Moor’s homebrew, not in attendance)
-South Shore Nut Brown ale
Tried in Oregon/Brought Back to St. Paul: Feb 11-19, 2003
Bend Brewing Company:
--sampled all 8 of their beers (sampler). I thought the Old Ale and Doppelbock were the best. They were all decent, but perhaps overall not as good as the Deschutes stuff I had on tap.
--Black Strap Stout
--Blue Heron Ale -tried bottle and liked it
--Monkey Face Porter -tried bottle and liked
--Rooster Tale Ale
--Obsidian Stout -had at brewpub and really liked. Sweet, smooth, dries out at end, roasted and toasty.
--Mirror Pond. Friends had at brewpub. Tried theirs and liked it. Brought back a bottle.
--Bachelor ESB - had on tap. well made, good bitter.
--Quail Springs IPA - had on tap. tasted kind of like ESB.
--Wit -Sampled at brewpub. Did not like. slightly skunked?
--Jubelale -bought 6 pack. liked it. have some left
--Double Bale Quail Imperial IPA. Amazing stuff. Very good.
--Winter Fish -quite good. very nice.
--IPA -wonderful. not too hoppy, little sweet, very nice. Tried it and liked it so brought another bottle back.
--Wreck the Halls
--Highland Amber (?) had on tap and was nice.
New Belgium Brewing:
--1554 Brussels Black Ale
--Abbey Belgium Ale
--Frambozen. -tried and liked.
--Fat Tire -had on tap somewhere and it was much worse than the bottle. Think it was bad tap lines.
--Old Stock Ale
Pike Pub and Brewery:
--Kilt Lifter Scotch Ale
--Imperial Pale Ale
--Paddle Me IPA -nicely bitter -a little lacking on malt balance for my taste.
BATE #3 March 21, 2003
Attending: Mike and Heather M, James, Jonathan, Kristina, Pete May, Peter R, Abby, Peter K, Andy H, Bruce P, Jamie, Don O
German Alt (Don's homebrew, a pre-sampling sample)
Cream Ale - Peter R's homebrew
Arcadia Brewing -ESB (MI brewery)
EPA - Peter "hophead" R's homebrew
Full Sail -Pale
Pioneer Brewing Company -Groovy Brew
Saranac -Single Malt
Capital Brewing -Munich Dark
New Glarus - Raspberry Tart (WI only)
New Glarus - Belgian Red
Fischer -Amber (French)
Boulevard Brewing - Red Ale
Red Ale -Peter K and Andy H's homebrew
Belgian Dubbel - Peter R's homebrew
Victory Brewing - Monkey Tripel
Dogfish Head - Immort Ale 11% alc
Dogfish Head - World Wide Stout 24% alc
Bokrijks Kruikenbier - Belgian Golden
Unibroue - Maudite
Chimay - Grand Reserve
St. Paul Porter - Peter R's homebrew
Boulevard Brewing - Porter
Bell's - Susie's Sweet Stout
Victory - Storm King Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout - Don's homebrew
Rhubarb Mead - Don's homebrew
Dry Irish Stout - Peter K and Andy H's homebrew
Holiday Cheer - Don's homebrew
Gitchee Gumee Brewfest April 5, 2003
Attending: Pete May, Mike Marigold, Johnnie and Joan Rowe, Robin Marigold, Isaiah
J.T. Whitney’s Pub & Brewery – Badger Red Ale. Fair
J.T. Whitney’s Pub & Brewery – Heartland Weiss. Fair
Schell – Bock. Fair
White Winter Winery – Oak Brackett. Not bad.
Hop’s Restaurant & Brewery – Thoroughbred Red. Decent
Northwoods Brewing Co. – Floppin Crappie Amber Honey Ale. Fair
Northwoods Brewing Co. – Bullis Beer. Fair. Pretty tasteless.
Town Hall Brewing Co. – Single Malt. Very nice.
Town Hall Brewing Co. – Peach Wheat. Fair. Not much peach. Sour.
Central Waters Brewing Company – Junetown Brown. Fair. Not sweet enough.
Central Waters Brewing Company – Stout Bourban cask. Very good.
Central Waters Brewing Company – IPA. Good
Central Waters Brewing Company – Y2K Barley wine. Excellent
Granite City Brewing – Pride of Pilsen. Very good
Granite City Brewing – Dear Abbey. Good.
Lake Superior Brewing Co – Old Man Winter Warmer. Pretty nice. Warming aftertaste.
Like a barley wine. Strong. Kind of dry.
Railhouse Brewing Company – Gold Rush. Fair
Viking Brewing Company – Dim Whit. Not bad. Very spicy.
Viking Brewing Company – Jule01. interesting. Nutmeg. decent
Viking Brewing Company – Vienna Woods. good
Viking Brewing Company – Rauch Bier. Slight smoke aroma. Decent smoke taste.
Viking Brewing Company – Mjod. Bracket. Not as good as honey moon.
Viking Brewing Company – Honey Moon. Bracket. Very good. Strong. Mostly mead.
Titletown Brewing Company – Fort Howard Pale Ale. Nice. Hoppy.
Titletown Brewing Company – Kolsch. Good.
Titletown Brewing Company – Scottish Ale. Very good.
Logjam Brewery – Swede Saw Red. Good
Logjam Brewery – Nut Brown. Ok.
Sleeman – Honey Brown Lager. Very good. Nice honeytaste. Clear. Enjoyable.
Sleeman – Original Dark. fair
BATE #4 06/07/03
Attending: Don, Mike M, Peter R, Robert H, James F
Categories: IPA and Wheat beer
- Rogue Smoke Ale (pre tasting beer)
- Flying Dog –In Heat Wheat (Hefeweizen)
- Hacker Pschorr –Weisse Dark
- New Glarus –Spotted Cow
- Bell’s Oberon
- Rogue –Half-e-Weizen
- Fullers IPA
- Summit IPA
- Peter R’s Belgian Grand Cru (homebrew)
- Peter R’s Maibock (homebrew)
- Summit Maibock
- Dogfish Head 90 Minute Imperial IPA
Saris sampler pack received Sept 2003:
4 bottles ½ liter of Saris Premium Lager
1 small glass bottle mineral water
1 large plastic bottle mineral water
3 cloth napkins with Saris logo, dark red
1 package paper napkins
1 package coasters
1 Saris tan hat
1 white t shirt
1 package table tents
1 poster with sexy Slovakian babe ;)
promotional folders with material
Other posters, one on a tagboard type backing
Autumn Brew Review
September 6, 2003
Attending: Adam Rynkiewich, , Don Osborn, James Ford, Mike Marigold, Jeff Gauss, Bruce Paulson, Eric Musser, Kevin (Adam’s friend), Robert Harvieux
- Bandana Brewery (Mankato, Dave Berg) – Madelia Mild. Fair enough. Actually kind of like mine. Good. light
- Bandana Brewery (Mankato, Dave Berg) – Garden City Farmhouse Ale. Wonderful aroma and great taste. Peppery, citrus, unique. Very nice. One of best of fest.
- Bandana Brewery (Mankato, Dave Berg) – Eagle Lake Pale Ale. Mirror Pond (Deschutes) aroma and taste. Good. Solid. Craft brew Flavor.
- Barley John’s Brewpub – Porter. 1 sip. Fine
- Big Sky Brewing – Moose Drool. You know it. You like it. Fair
- Big Sky Brewing – Summer Honey
- Boulevard Brewing Company – Unfiltered Wheat. Little aroma. But good sweet wheat beer taste. Nice.
- Boulevard Brewing Company – Pale Ale. Fair.
- Finnegan’s Irish Amber – not the worst ever. Fair.
- Fitger's Brewhouse, Brewery and Grill - Light Brown. like a mild. Very weak in taste.
- Fitger's Brewhouse, Brewery and Grill - Witchtree ESB. grainy, malty, like a stronger mild.
- Fitger's Brewhouse, Brewery and Grill - El Nino Double-Hopped IPA. very bitter. wow. strong bitter finish.
- Fitger's Brewhouse, Brewery and Grill - Mild. Also similar to mine. Interesting. Kind of light taste. Little bit of roasted, grainy taste.
- Granite City Food and Brewery - Dear Abbey 2003. decent. Dubbel? nice. good.
- Granite City Food and Brewery - Pride of Pilsen. good. decent for style
- Granite City Food and Brewery - Duke of Wellington. Nice pale hoppy crisp. good.
- Granite City Food and Brewery - Piper Doon. malty, grainy nose. same taste. decent. nice
- Great Waters Brewing Company - IPA. fair aroma. decent taste. 1 sip
- Great Waters Brewing Company - Bourbon Barrel Brown - oak chips soaked in bourbon then put in (metal) cask. Nice oaky aroma. Actual taste is not great, but good. Solid.
- Great Waters Brewing Company - Summer Ale. drinkable. last beer of night?
- Harwell's Steakhouse and Brewery - Oktoberfest - (lagered since January) Very good. Sweet. Strong. smooth, like a bock
- Harwell's Steakhouse and Brewery - IPA. drinkable. decent. bitter finish. not outstanding
- Harwell's Steakhouse and Brewery - MexiLager. pretty good. fairly light. little spicy.
- Harwell's Steakhouse and Brewery - Porter. very drinkable. smooth, sweet, very good.
- Harwell's Steakhouse and Brewery - ISB (Industrial Swill for Beginners) like you'd think.
- Hop's Restaurant, Bar, & Brewery - Summer Ale. fair enough. drinkable.
- Hop's Restaurant, Bar, & Brewery - Oatmeal Stout. fair. little edgy.
- Kalamazoo Brewing Company - Winter White Ale - unfiltered wheat. sharp, not so sweet, Belgian yeast. fair.
- Kalamazoo Brewing Company - Amber. decent
- Kalamazoo Brewing Company - Porter. decent too. roasted taste. little cold.
Z###########################@22222221 (that was the cat’s entry. Must have been her favorite)
- Mantorville - Stage Coach - fairly light. smooth. Drinkable, fair.
- Mantorville - Honey Golden - a little better. More distinct. Due to yeast?
- Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery - Smokehaus Hefe - sweet. Trippel like start, banana middle, pleasant smoke finish.
- Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery - Blue Label Barrel Aged Blend - like scotch whisky - oak cask flavor. Great. Sweet and Malty. Very, very nice.
- Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery - El Commando Barley Wine - Unusual for BW aroma. More like Trippel. Strong, warming, touch of alcohol. Sweet and good.
- Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery - Cask Masala Mamma IPA - Cascade pour. Creamy and smooth. Quite hoppy flavor. Hop aroma too but too much head right now. Ok now more hop aroma. Quite good.
- New Holland Brewing Company - Full Circle Pilsner. decent. like Summit Grand. Better than swill
- New Holland Brewing Company - Mad Hatter IPA - super fresh hop aroma. "You will write that it is good." -Mike. Actually, a little too smooth of a taste, but good.
- New Holland Brewing Company - The Poet Oatmeal Stout. Decent. A little sharp edge for a stout. Fair.
- New Holland Brewing Company - Black Tulip Belgian Trippel - musty. only fair.
- New Holland Brewing Company - Sour butterscotch aroma and flavor. interesting. not outstanding but good. Creamy.
- O'Hara's Brew Pub and Restaurant - Quarry Rock Red. Fair.
- O'Hara's Brew Pub and Restaurant - O'Hara's Oktoberfest - a little light for style I think but not bad.
- Pig's Eye Brewing Company - Pilsner - bowling, anyone?
- Pig's Eye Brewing Company - Lean. little more than water.
- Pioneer and Wisconsin Brewing Cos. - Wheat - decent, solid.
- Pioneer and Wisconsin Brewing Cos. Cream Ale. fair, forgettable.
- Point - Augsberger Dark. forgettable.
- Rock Bottom Brewery - Intoxicator Dopplebock - very nice. Strong and sweet as it should be.
- Rock Bottom Brewery - Saison. very drinkable. Sweet, Belgian flavor. nice
- Rock Bottom Brewery - Kolsch. light. (drunk) hard to tell
- Rockies Brewing Company - Single Track Copper Ale. fair
- Rockies Brewing Company - Hazed and Infused. of course, good hop aroma and good taste.
- Sleeman - Honey Brown. Fair. Drinkable. really not that bad no matter what Mike says.
- Sleeman - Original Lager. just drinkable.
- Summit - Octoberfest - lighter. not bad. See how whole bottle tastes.
- Vine Park Brewing Company - Oktoberfest - light for an Octoberfest, nice enough but true to style?
- vine Park Brewing Company - IPA. 1 sip. nice aroma. bitter. not bad.
- vine Park Brewing Company - Belgian Golden Ale. spicy, complex, full flavored, very nice.
- White Winter Winery - Raspberry mead. 1 sip. wine like. Good for a wine-like mead. semi sweet.
- White Winter Winery - Oak Brackett. quite nice. 1 sip.
BATE #5 11/15/03 Don’s house.
Don, Mike M, Robert H, James F, Tom N, Pete M, Peter R, Mike (Pete’s friend), Chris M
Tasted 40 drinks (rolls eyes)
- Scottish Ale –Don’s homebrew
- Dunkel Weizen – Peter’s homebrew
- Bell’s Oberon
- Yarpivo (Russian)
- Red Ale –Robert’s homebrew
- Steamin’ Wife Lager –Don’s homebrew
- Anchor Steam
- Guinness Bitter
- SNCA clone –Mike’s homebrew
- SNCA clone –Don’s homebrew
- SNCA (Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale)
- Lake Superior IPA
- Fuller’s IPA
- Goose Island IPA
- Summit IPA
- Dubbel –Chris’s homebrew
- Trippel –Don’s homebrew
- Trippel –New Belgium Brewing
- Tripel Karmeliet
- Northwoods Porter (Anchor Porter clone –Don’s homebrew)
- Anchor Porter
- Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout
- Young’s Oatmeal Stout
- Old Engine Oil –Harviestoun Brewery
- Old Engine Oil Special Reserve –Harviestoun Brewery
- Osborne Porto
- Young’s Double Chocolate Stout
- Licorice Stout –Mike’s homebrew
- Cherry Stout –James’ homebrew
- Mead ’02 –Don’s homemade
- Wee Heavy –James’ homebrew
- Imperial Stout –Chris’ homebrew
- Imperial Stout –Don’s homebrew
- Samuel Smith Imperial Stout
- Cooper’s Extra Strong Vintage Ale
- Mead ’01 –Don’s homemade
- Bai Jou (from China)
- Barley Wine ’01 –Don’s homebrew
- Holiday Cheer –Mike’s homebrew
- Belgian Christmas Ale –Don’s homebrew
-Jan 17. Hamm building, St. Paul
Attending: Don, James Ford, Mike Marigold, Bruce Paulson
-Barley John’s Brewpub –Stockyard IPA. good
-Barley John’s Brewpub –Trappist Grand Reserve 10% sweet, honey aroma. Very good. Solid. Mead-like taste.
-Barley John’s Brewpub –Wild Brunette Brown 7.5% sweet. Quite nice.
-Barley John’s Brewpub – Old Eight Porter 8% sweet. Bubblegum. Good.
-Barley John’s Brewpub –Alfred’s Porter. 12%. Poured from growler. Cough syrup. Interesting.
-Fitger’s Brewhouse- Hair O’ the Monk 10% strong banana finish.
-Fitger’s Brewhouse- Sasquatch Scotch 8% good. Sweet. Pretty clean.
-Fitger’s Brewhouse- Edmund Imperial Stout 9.5% pretty tasty. Good stuff.
-Granite City –Double Vision Pale Ale – very solid. Hoppy. Clean. Sweet.
-Granite City – Brown. Cask. Smooth, tasty, gulpable.
-O’Hara’s Brewpub – Winter Lager. Decent.
-Great Waters Brewing Co. – Hooligan IPA. Fishy taste. Not that great.
-Great Waters Brewing Co. – Peter the Great Imperial Stout. Aged 13 months. Very good. Lingering port finish.
-Great Waters Brewing Co. – Dubbel – decent. Kind of sharp.
-Hops Restaurant and Brewery – Winter Amber. Fair, drinkable.
-Hops Restaurant and Brewery – Bumblebee Honey Bock – fair, drinkable.
-Minneapolis Town Hall – Grand Cru 9.5% wonderful fruit aroma, orange, sweet strong taste.
-Minneapolis Town Hall – Bourbon Barrel Aged Stout 7% - quite nice.
-Minneapolis Town Hall – Hood Pale. Cask. Nice.
-Minneapolis Town Hall – Tan Lager. ok.
-Mantorville – Smoked Porter. Slight bourbon barrel taste (even though has not yet been in barrel). Hint of honey or mead. (Todd said he used a yeast that he had previously made a beer with honey in it).
-Mantorville – Stagecoach Amber. Decent.
-Bandana Brewery – Janesville Porter. Fair, brown porter and dry stout taste.
-Bandana Brewery – Anniversary Ale. Good.
-Rock Bottom – Winter Warmer. Willamette dry hop –piney aroma. Pineapple taste. Very good.
-Rock Bottom – Cranberry Wit. Fair. Little dry?
-Summit – cask IPA. Very nice. Smooth. England-esque
-Summit –Maibock. Little young. Not as sweet as normal.
Gitchee Gumee Brewfest April 3, 2004
Attending: Pete May, Mike Marigold, Jerry, Robin Marigold, Isaiah
-Sleeman Cream Ale. –ok
-Sleeman Clear. -Not good.
-Point Amber. –eh.
-Pioneer Brewing Oderbolz Bock. –ass juice (i.e. terrible)
-Pioneer Brewing Cranberry Special Ale – nice. Little sweet, little tart.
-Pioneer Brewing Oscar Stout – ok. Good.
-Pioneer Brewing Wood Duck Wheat. -fair
-Pioneer Brewing Golden Ale. –ok
-Logjam Stout. –not bad.
-City Brewery Kul Lite. – eh.
-Fitgers Brewhouse – Witchtree ESB. Ok
-Twin Ports Brewing – Ultra Fat Ass (lite) – not that good.
-Twin Ports Brewing – Rye Bock – all right.
-Twin Ports Brewing – Primavera Porter – not that great.
-Rock Bottom – Itasca Extra Pale Ale. solid. Good stuff.
-Hops – Amber Ale. fair
-Hops – Double Hopped IPA – very good. OG 19 Plato. Quite bitter. Good stuff.
-Lake Superior – Kayak Kolsch. Eh.
-Lake Superior – Brown Ale. ok
-Granite City Brewing Graduator Doppelbock – fair.
-Granite City Brewing Brother Benedicts amber bock – so-so.
-Granite City Brewing Cask Stout – “at least two steps up from ball sweat” M.M. medicinal sourness.
-Granite City Brewing Pride of Pilsen – good as last year. Nice aroma. Solid Pils.
-Summit –Cask Brown. Good but maybe needs 1 or 2 more weeks. If mellowed would be great.
-Capital – Maibock. -Milder. Drinkable. Nice.
-Viking – Hot Chocolate. – interesting. Sweet body and heat in finish (cayenne)
-Viking – Fiddler’s Finest Munich Helles – little dirtish. To style? Ok.
-Viking –Big Swede imperial stout – solid.
-Viking – JD’s Old Fashioned Root Beer. Good stuff. J
-Kalamazoo – Oberon. Eh.
-Kalamazoo – Two Hearted. – good of course.
-South Shore Brewing Nut Brown Ale – ok.
-South Shore Brewing Honey Pils – decent.
-South Shore Brewing Herbal Cream ale – great aroma. Thought wit-like. Good taste.
-South Shore Brewing Wheat Doppelbock – noticeable wheat aroma. Not bad but can’t drink much of it.
-South Shore Brewing Maibock – not bad. Not sweet enough for style? Pretty good.
- Lion Stout –Sri Lanka. Quite good. Rather complex for a stout.
- Marten Belgian Pils – low carb. Eh.
BATE #6 05/08/04 Paul’s house.
Don, Mike M, James F, Pete M, Nick, Paul, Kaelyn, Landon (aka Lil’ Pa)
-American Wheat –Paul’s homebrew
-Helles (Hofbrauhaus) -Paul’s homebrew
-Sam Adams White
-Pils -Don’s homebrew
- Pilsner Urquell
- Klisch Pils –Lakefront Brewery
- Fuel Café Coffee Flavored Sout -Lakefront Brewery
- SNPA -Don’s homebrew
- Maibock -Don’s homebrew
- Summit Maibock
- Maibock -Paul’s homebrew
- Tongue Splitter –Paul’s homebrew
- EPA Summit
- ESB -Mike’s homebrew
- Boulevard Bully Porter
- Stone Creek Brewing Vanilla Porter
- Stone Smoked Porter (CA)
- Alaskan Smoked Porter (AK)
- Smoked Porter -Don’s homebrew
- Bluefin Stout -Shipyard
- Harp clone -Paul’s homebrew
- American Brown –Paul’s homebrew
- American Brown -Mike’s homebrew
- Rocky Mt. Meadery –Guinevere Honeywine
- Lurgashall Winery – English Mead
Autumn Brew Review
September 11, 2004
Attending: Don Osborn, Pete May, James Ford, Mike Marigold
-Bandana Brewery - Skyline Weizenbock. Laagered 4 months. Super smooth. Sweet. Very Nice.
-Bandana Brewery - Eagle Lake Pale Ale - decent pale ale. Nothing special but good.
-Barley John's Brewpub - Wild Rice Brunette -Very nice. Complex. Actually tastes little different -wild rice? Good Stuff.
-Barley John's Brewpub - Bitter. Very drinkable. Clean and somewhat bitter. fine.
-The Brauhaus (Lucan, MN) IPA - after drinking Wildfire, can't taste much. Seems to be OK. (after water). OK, little grainy. Decent.
-The Brauhaus (Lucan, MN) Cream Stout. Pretty good. Not dry. Little sweet. Nice roasted taste.
-Fitger's Brewhouse - Witchtree ESB. just fine. good stuff.
-Fitger's Brewhouse - Amsterdam Ale - Wow. Very nice. A Belgian Golden? Quite good. Could drink whole glass.
-Fitger's Brewhouse - Wildfire. They are right. Super hot. Interesting to taste but couldn't drink whole glass.
-Fitger's Brewhouse - Ole' Redbeard. 2003 Barleywine 10.9%. Good stuff. Quite strong. Backbone.
-Fitger's Brewhouse - Big boat Oatmeal Stout - very nice. totally solid.
-Granite City (St. Cloud) - Broadaxe Stout. cask. very roasty. good.
-Granite City (St. Cloud) - Duke of Wellington Pale Ale - nice aroma. Fair taste. not that great.
-Great Waters - Brown Trout Brown ale - kind of light tasting but decent.
-Great Waters - St. Peter Pale - decent. drinking while eating.
-Hops Restaurant, Bar, & Brewery - Oatmeal Stout - decent. good example of style. nice.
-Hops Restaurant, Bar, & Brewery - Imperial IPA. damn good. Whole pint would F you up. Strong, bitter, nice.
-James Page Brewing Company - Summer Ale - decent. solid.
-James Page Brewing Company - Oktoberfest. hmm. only so so.
-Mantorville Brewing Company- Stagecoach. good. open fermentation for first 24 hours. Little spicy.
-Minneapolis Town Hall - Thunderstorm. Real nice. Maybe little heavy on lemongrass. Good summer ale though.
-Minneapolis Town Hall - Old Ale. warming, alcohol hint. Strong, pretty good. Kind of dry finish.
-Minneapolis Town Hall - Hop It. cask. quite bitter. too much for me actually. not balanced. little thin.
-New Holland Brewing Company - Sun Dog Amber. ok
-O'Hara's Brew Pub (St. Cloud) - Sommer Weizen - quite nice. drinkable.
-O'Hara's Brew Pub (St. Cloud) - Sid's Irish Stout - also good. roasty. goes down smooth.
-Pig's Eye Brewing - Pilsner - skunky aroma. only fair.
-Rock Bottom Brewery - Kolsch. fine. ok
-Rockies Brewing Company - Mojo IPA. Totally solid. Very, very good. Awesome hop taste and flavor.
-Rockies Brewing Company - Hazed and Infused - decent. Had before of course.
-Rush River Brewing Company - Unforgiven Amber Ale. so so
-Rush River Brewing Company - Small Axe Golden Ale - decent.
-Rush River Brewing Company - Lost Arrow Porter - also so so.
-Sand Creek/Pioneer Brewing Company - Cranberry Special Ale. not very beer-ish. pretty light and sweet. not bad.
-Sand Creek/Pioneer Brewing Company - Wheat - only ok. pretty wheaty.
-South Shore Brewing - Nut Brown Ale - decent.
-South Shore Brewing - Mint Coffee Stout -made with real mint leaves. Great mint aroma. Good flavor. Quite nice.
-South Shore Brewing - Pumpkin Fest - very aromatic, very spicy. unique. good flavor.
-Summit Brewing Company - Oktoberfest - very nice. should be good this year. Will buy a 6 pack for sure.
-Summit Brewing Company - EPA on cask. Very smooth. Very nice. More!
-Viking Brewing Company - Whole Stein - good. drinkable stuff.
-Viking Brewing Company - Big Swede - good stuff.
-Viking Brewing Company - Queen Victoria's Secret - only so so.
-Viking Brewing Company - Sylvan Springs - decent. kind of unique.
-Viking Brewing Company - Mjod - bracket. good stuff. essence of a mead.
-Viking Brewing Company - Abbey Normal - quite tasty. sweet. candy.
-White Winter Winery - Raspberry Mead - sweeter than strawberry. not bad.
-White Winter Winery - Oak Brackett - very interesting. beer and mead. good flavor. drink whole glass?
-White Winter Winery - Apple Cyser - only a sip. decent.
-White Winter Winery - Strawberry Mead - pretty dry. ok.
-William Kuether Brewing Company - Tall Blonde - only fair. at least ok.
-William Kuether Brewing Company - Rustic Trail Amber - little too bitter for alt.
-William Kuether Brewing Company - Pale Ale - actually bad. what the H?
-William Kuether Brewing Company - Badger Brown. so so.
-Feb 19. St. Paul College Club, St. Paul
Attending: Don, James Ford, Mike Marigold, Bruce Paulson, Pete May
-Bandana Brewery - Skyline Weizenbock -good
-Bandana Brewery - Nicollet Milk Stout -very nice
-Barley John's Brewpub - Wild Brunette
-Barley John's Brewpub - Old Eight Porter
-Barley John's Brewpub - Winter Ale
-Barley John's Brewpub - Dark Knight
-Barley John's Brewpub - Rosie's. amazing. 18% alc. port notes. warming.
-Brauhaus - Scotch Ale. ok
-Brauhaus - Extra Pale. bad
-Fitger's Brewhouse - Oredock Triplebock
-Fitger's Brewhouse - Hair O the Monk
-Fitger's Brewhouse - Whiskey Barrel Aged Ole' Redbeard Barleywine
-Fitger's Brewhouse - Bourbon Barrel Aged Edmund Imperial Stout
-Fitger's Brewhouse - 1100 Wheatwine. great stuff, like a barleywine made with wheat malt.
-Granite City Food & Brewery - Kenny's Not Quite Brown Ale. nice. strong light colored brown.
-Granite City Food & Brewery - Hoptopia. really hoppy.
-Granite City Food & Brewery - IPA
-Great Waters Brewing Company - Old Bastard Ale
-Great Waters Brewing Company - Imperial IPA
-Hops, Maple Grove - Scottish
-Hops, Maple Grove - (didn't record 2nd one)
-Lake Superior Brewing Company - Split Rock Bock
-Lake Superior Brewing Company - Barleywine
-O Hara's Brewpub and Restaurant - Winter Wheat
-Rock Bottom - On Cask Stubby. brewed from 2nd runnings of Imp St.
-Rock Bottom - Black Bull Imp Stout
-Rock Bottom - Fallen Angel Abbey
-Rock Bottom - Bezerk Malt Liquor
-Summit - cask IPA. very good stuff, better than bottle for sure.
-Town Hall Brewery - Wassail Ale. super spicy nose.
-Town Hall Brewery - Beer 24. nice stuff.
-Town Hall Brewery - Czar Jack Imperial Stout.
-Town Hall Brewery - Big Dog
-Town Hall Brewery - Grand Cru (award winning, only had a small taste)
Autumn Brew Review 2005
-October 8, 2005 Peavy Plaza, Minneapolis
Attending: Don, James, Clint, Mike, Keith, Adam, Rob.
-Arcadia Brewing - WhitSun - fairly decent wit.
-Arcadia Brewing - Angler's Ale - ok. decent enough.
-Arcadia Brewing - Scotch Ale - Pretty solid. Strong, malty, good.
-Arcadia Brewing - London Porter - Quite nice. Coffee NOte
-Arcadia Brewing - Special Reserve - so so
-August Schell Brewing - Schell Dark. ok
-Avery Brewing - Amber. so so.
-Barley John's Brewpub - Sotckyard IPA - in the hop transducer thingee. Quite bitter. all right.
-Barley John's Brwepub - Oktoberfest - decent.
-Bandana Brewery - Waseca Honey Wheat - quite good.
-Bandana Brewery - Hop Harvest Pale Ale - ok.
-Boulevard Brewing - Pale Ale. ok
-Brauhaus - EPA. eh. not so good.
-Brauhaus - Dubbel. 2004 growler. alcohol aroma and taste. so so.
-Fitger's Brewhouse, Brewery, and Grill - Cherry 10th Anniversary ale - great. sour cherry. authentic fruit flavor.
-Fitger's Brewhouse, Brewery, and Grill - Double Daisy - red IPA. ok. bitter finish.
-Fitger's Brewhouse, Brewery, and Grill - Apostle Apple Ale. wow. Rather sweet. nice.
-Great Divide Brewing - IPA. ok
-Great Divide Brewing - Porter. decent. pretty good.
-Great Divide Brewing - Denver Pale. eh.
-Great Divide Brewing - Oktoberfest. so so
-Great Waters - Scarlet Pimpernel. decent.
-Great Waters - Dunkel. eh.
-Lakefront Brewing - IPA. mild hop aroma. Pretty bitter. decent.
-Lakefront Brewing - ESB. super clear. so so. not very to style.
-Lakefront Brewing - Oktoberfest - ok. not bad.
-Lakefront Brewing - Pumpkin. nice spice aroma. real pumpkin in mash. Very clear. Pretty good.
-Mantorville Brewing - Golden. awful, actually. worst beer of day.
-Mantorville Brewing - Stagecoach Amber - not very good.
-Minneapolis Town Hall - MN Harvest. (wild rice) very grainy. so so
-Minneapolis Town Hall - Abbey. strong Belgian. good.
-Minneapolis Town Hall - Smoked Porter. fair enough. good example of style.
-Minneapolis Town Hall - Fresh Hop Pale. quite bitter. not enough malt balance.
-Rush River Brewing - Amber. so so
-Rush River Brewing - Porter. ok
-Sierra Nevada Brewing - Porter. good.
-South Shore Brewing - Herbal Cream ale. pretty good. unique. nice.
-South Shore Brewing - Honey Pils. decent.
-Summit - Amber - decent.
-Summit - EPA on cask. lower carbonation. more hop bitterness. nice.
-Viking Brewing Company - Rauch. good smoky taste. light in color.
-Viking Brewing Company - Whole Stein - decent.
-Viking Brewing Company - Honey Moon - ok
-Viking Brewing Company - Lime Twist - quite good. refreshing.
-White Winter Winery - Bracket - eh.
-White Winter Winery - Cider. ok. cross between dry homemade and commercial.
-Jan 14. St. Paul College Club, St. Paul
Attending: Don, Mike Marigold, Pete May
- Bandana Brewery - Hanska Baltic Porter. ok.
- Bandana Brewery - Hamburg Doppelbock. not sure if have right one. If so, not very doppelbock like.
- BrauHaus - Scotch ale. not bad.
- BrauHaus - Tripel - kind of harsh. not that great.
- Brauhaus - Dubbel - pretty good.
- Fitgers Brewhouse - Ole Redbeard Barleywine 2003 - better
- Fitgers Brewhouse - Ole Redbeard Barleywine 2004 - ok
- Fitgers Brewhouse - Edmund Imperial Stout - pretty good
- Fitgers Brewhouse - Procrastinator Doppelbock - very nice
- Fitgers Brewhouse - 1100 Wheatwine - interesting. don't taste wheat.
- Fitgers Brewhouse - Sasquatch - so so
- Fitgers Brewhouse - IBA. India Brown Ale. accurate title. nice.
- Great Waters - Winter Strong Wit. decent wit with some alcohol taste
- Great Waters - Belgian Yule - spicy.
- O'Haras Brewpub - Dubble Trouble - so so
- O'Haras Brewpub - Oatmeal Stout
- Rock Bottom - Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout. -alc aroma. Cherry cough syrup taste.
- Summit - Great Northern Porter. they put some spice in this special amount. Ginger maybe. ok.
- Surly Brewing (inaugural tapping!) - Bender - assertive. nice.
- Surly Brewing - unlisted. Amber IPA thing, on cask. Super hop aroma. Taste is strong.
- Town Hall - Banana Bread Beer - not bad but don't get banana.
- Town Hall - Barrel Aged Northern Waters Smoked Porter - not very smoky. fair.
- Town Hall - Ol Jack Frost - Imperial Stout. pretty decent.
- Town Hall - Foolish - hits like a bag of bricks. strong aroma and taste.
- Town Hall - Twisted Reality - hint of smoke aroma. Very nice. Maybe best of night.
BATE #7 03/18/06 Mike's house.
Don, Mike M, James F, Clint
- DAB Dortmunder - Mike's homebrew
-Harveys - Elizabethan Ale 1998
- Zatta Bie - Brouwerj De Bi
- Upstream Brewing - Hefeweizen
- New Belgium Abbey ale
- Helles - Mike's homebrew
- Helles - Don's homebrew
- Helles - Mike's 2004 homebrew
- Anchor Steam
- Steamin' Wife Lager -Don's homebrew
- Empryean Brewing - Scottish
- Gluek Brewing - Light lager
- Mackeson XXX Stout
- Upstream Doppelbock
- Mike's Ginger Wheat - homebrew
- Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine 2005
- SNBFBW Don's homebrew 2004
- Sam Adam's Winter Lager
- Mead - Don's 2005 sweet mead
- Pumpkin Ale - Don's homebrew
- Spiced Ale - Jerry's homebrew
- lots of good cheese courtesy of Mike, and Don's Chimay cheese
- "world famous" meatballs by Clint, James gorgonzola cheese dip, Mike's pork hominy soup
The Great Taste of the Midwest - Madison, WI August 12, 2006
Jerry and Don made the trip
-Carlyle Brewing Company - IPA. nice
-Carlyle Brewing Company - Golden. all right
-Carlyle Brewing Company - Stout. good.
-Flossmoor Station - Vishnu's Vice IPA. good aroma and taste
-Flossmoor Station - Avant Garde Biere de Garde. nice
-Flossmoor Station - Wooden Hell. bourbon barrel aroma. great taste.
-Flossmoor Station - Old Ale. very good.
-Barley Island Brewing Company -Sheet Metal Blond. decent
-Barley Island Brewing Company - Shagbark Farmhouse Ale. musty, funky, good.
-Barley Island Brewing Company - Dirty Helen Brown Ale. fair.
-Barley Island Brewing Company - BarFly IPA - don't like.
-Broad Ripple Brew Pub - Mild. nice
-Broad Ripple Brew Pub - Farmhouse. quite good.
-Broad Ripple Brew Pub - ESB. fair.
-Brugge Brasserie - Trippel. very nice.
-Three Floyds Brewing Company - Gumballhead. very nice.
-Three Floyds Brewing Company - Red ___ ? - baltic porter. good.
-Three Floyds Brewing Company - Oak Aged Dark Lord Imperial Stout. awesome. coffee flavors. wonderful.
-Bells Brewery, INC - Hell Hath no Fury - nice. small amt of heat. Java stout?
-Bells Brewery, INC - Wedding ale - spicy, wit, orange
-Bells Brewery, INC - Lager - like a pils. ok.
-Bells Brewery, INC - Rye Stout - fair. don't taste rye.
-Dragonmead Microbrewery - Final Absolution (tripel). delish.
-Dragonmead Microbrewery - Under the Kilt Wee Heavy - ok
-Dragonmead Microbrewery - Bill's Witbier - good
-Dragonmead Microbrewery - Barleywine. good ("got me drunk" I wrote)
-Founders Brewing Company - Dirty Bastard. very nice.
-Founders Brewing Company - Reds Rye. kick ass.
-Founders Brewing Company - Breakfast stout - awesome.
-Founders Brewing Company - Curmudgeon.
-Kuhnhenn Brewing Company - Fourth Dementia Olde Ale - very nice
-Kuhnhenn Brewing Company - Creme Brulee Java Stout - super good.
-Kuhnhenn Brewing Company - Simcoe - really good
-Kuhnhenn Brewing Company - ?? 4th one not recorded
-The Livery (Benton Harbor) - Batch 50 Ann IPA - awesome
-The Livery (Benton Harbor) - Maillot Jaune -dry hopped French pale ale. very nice.
-The Livery (Benton Harbor) - Dark Czech Lager. decent
-The Livery (Benton Harbor) - German Pils - quite nice. clean.
-The Livery (Benton Harbor) - Cask Aged Belgian Cherry Wheat. diff but ok. nice aroma
-The Livery (Benton Harbor) - Cask Aged Kilt Tilter Scotch - smokey. good.
-The Livery (Benton Harbor) - Bourbon cask aged Belgian Dark Trippel. 14.5%. awesome
-The Livery (Benton Harbor) - Bourbon cask aged wheat trippelbock lager. 17%. unbelievable. Sweet. Very strong but smooth. Wonderful.
-Boston Beer Company (Sam Adams) - Oktoberfest. ok
-Boston Beer Company (Sam Adams) - Utopias. unbelievable. see the video for live tasting review.
-Ale Asylum - Abbey. good.
-Ale Asylum - Tripel Nova Belgian Tripel - decent
-Ale Asylum - Big Slick Stout Oatmeal Stout - ok
-Ale Asylum - Hatha Weizen Hefe Weizen - ok
-Lakefront Brewery - Abbey. ok
-Lakefront Brewery - Pale. good.
-Railhouse Brewing - Doppelbock. nice.
-Railhouse Brewing - Pike River IPA - so so
-Railhouse Brewing - Oatmeal Stout - decent
Autumn Brew Review 2006
-October 7, 2006 Peavy Plaza, Minneapolis
Attending: Don, James, Mike, Adam, Pete, Jerry.
-August Schell Brewing - Pale Ale on cask. decent. solid.
-Avery Brewing - Old Jubilation. all right.
-Barley John's Brewpub - Oktoberfest. good.
-Barley John's Brewpub - Wild Rice Brunette. ok
-Brau Brothers Brewing - Creamt stout. ok
-Brau Brothers Brewing - Batch1 - "less hoppy ipa" ok. decent pale ale.
-Fitger's - St. Stephen's Abbey - decent
-Fitger's - StarFire Pale ale - very nice. well made.
-Fitger's - Parr's Porter - pretty good
-Fitger's - Lester River Hefeweizen - ok
-Fitger's - 1100 Wheat wine - wow. strong. ok but alcohol heat.
-Fitger's - Anniversary cherry batch. very good.
-Great Divide Brewing - ESB. ok
-Great Waters - Pflugenphflagen - nice.
-Great Waters - Stout. very good. smooth
-Great Waters - Apocalypse - double ipa. good.
-Kalamazoo Brewing - Best Brown. ok.
-Lakefront Brewing - Pumpkin. good. not as good as last year.
-Lakefront Brewing - Riverfest Stein - pale ale? decent.
-Lakefront Brewing - Eastside Dark. decent.
-Lakefront Brewing - Oktoberfest. good.
-Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery - Fresh Hop. very hoppy, almost unbalanced. astringent.
-Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery - Black Snow Coffee Porter - pretty nice. good coffee flavor, nice balance.
-Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery - Barrel Aged Twisted Reality Barleywine. sugary, smooth, warming, very good smell and taste.
-Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery - 1800 (cask) pretty nice. quite bitter. well made.
-Muskie Capital - Red lager. ok
-Muskie Capital - Wheat. very clear. ok flavor
-Muskie Capital - hmm. ok I suppose.
-New Holland - Ichabod Pumpkin ale - so so. reminds me of mine.
-New Holland - Mad Hatter IPA - all right.
-Rock Bottom - cask brown. so so.
-Rock Bottom -Wit - quite nice.
-Rush River - IPA. so so.
-Shmaltz Brewing - Genesis. not that great.
-Shmaltz Brewing - Messiah Bold - not that great.
-Sierra Nevada - Celebration ale (doesn't come out for 3 weeks) - excellent of course.
-South Shore Brewing - Apple Fest. ok. cloudy. dregs from keg? it was out later when I wanted to try again.
-South Shore Brewing - Coffee Mint Stout - smells great - mint aroma. nice balance taste. very nice.
-South Shore Brewing - ok.
-Summit - Great Northern Porter - ok
-Surly Brewing - Darkness - Imp Stout. very nice.
-Surly Brewing - Tea Bag Bender. little hoppier in bright flavor. cask
-Surly Brewing - Bourbon bender. - noticeable bourbon flavor. smoother.
-Surly Brewing - Surlyfest. Very hoppy, like an IPA.
-Surly Brewing - Coffee Bender - tons of coffee aroma and flavor. coffee dominates.
-White Winter - Raspberry Mead - kind of dry but nice.
-White Winter - Sweet Mead. nice and sweet.
Autumn Brew Review 2007
-September 29, 2007 Historic Grain Belt Brewery, Minneapolis
Attending: Don, Adam, Pete, Rob.
- August Schell Brewing - Ungespundet-hefetrub Pilsner - really nice. Unfiltered Kellerbier. Great flavor. Reminds me of a homebrew.
- Brau Brothers - Brau Scotch ale. decent. pretty good.
- Brau Brothers - Ring Neck Braun. Double nut brown. ok.
- Fitger's Brewhouse - Apricot Wheat. not much apricot but nearly enough. good.
- Fitger's Brewhouse - Breakwater White - really nice.
- Fitger's Brewhouse - Breakwater Blue. The White with blueberries. wow. outstanding. refreshing, balanced, unique, drinkable, wonderful.
- Fitger's Brewhouse - Herbst Lager. good. well made. nice.
- Fitger's Brewhouse - ST IPA - solid.
- Fitger's Brewhouse - St Stephen's Abbey ale. decent.
- Fitger's Brewhouse - Bourbon Barrel Aged Big Boat Oatmeal Stout. really nice. complex and drinkable. can get bourbon flavor. very good.
- Flat Earth Brewing - Bermuda Triangle. Trippel. not too bad. cleaner tasting than other beers of theirs I've had.
- Flat Earth Brewing - Cygnus X-1. not too bad. better than others from them.
- Herkimer - Oktoberfest - ok. kind of hoppy. not bad.
- Herkimer - Alt. so so. not great.
- Herkimer - Sky Pilot Kellerbier - somewhat off?
- Herkimer - Dunkel. decent.
- Lake Superior - Mesabi Red. brought to us while in outhouse line. decent.
- Minneapolis Town Hall - Fresh Hop 2007. awesome fresh hop flavor. great.
- Minneapolis Town Hall - Minnesota Harvest - ok.
- Summit - ESB on cask. much better than last year's bottle. Wonder if this year's bottle is good?
- Surly Brewing - SurlyFest. nice, good.
- Surly Brewing - Coffee Bender - wonderful. lotta coffee.
- Surly Brewing - Dahmer. fairly smoky Baltic porter. sweet but roasted and has edge. Very good.
- Surly Brewing - Bourbon One - awesome. bourbon, vanilla, coconut, great.
- Surly Brewing - Barrel Aged Darkness 2006 - lotsa bourbon. very delicious. wonderful.
- Bells Brewery - Java Stout. very nice. good version of style.
- Bells Brewery - Consecrator Doppelbock. first one of fest! nice and clean.
- Bells Brewery - Third Coast Beer on cask. ok I guess. I thought it was going to be the old ale.
- Boulder Beer - Cold Hop. ok. decent.
- New Belgium - Mothership Wit - nice, drinkable.
- New Holland Brewing Co - Mad Hatter on the "Hatterizer" (fresh hop tube). splendid aroma and taste.
- New Holland Brewing Co - Ichabod Pumpkin ale - nice aroma pumpkin spices and flavor.
- New Holland Brewing Co - Dragon's Milk Barrel Aged Strong ale (undecipherable notes, but it was good)
- New Holland Brewing Co - The Poet (cask). good.
- North Coast Brewing - Red Seal ale - clean, nice.
- North Coast Brewing - Brother Thelonius Dubbel - belgian, amber, good.
- Brewery Ommegang - Abbey Ale - kinda alcoholic, ok.
- Brewery Ommegang - Witte ale - really nice.
- South Shore Brewery - Nut Brown ale - good
- South Shore Brewery - Honey Pils - decent
- South Shore Brewery - Coffee Mint Stout - really nice with a bit of mind. one of the best of the day.
- Tynanena Brewing Co - Three Beaches Honey Blonde Ale. light, clean, to make this shine at a fest, but ~ Kolsch and a nice beer.
- Tynanena Brewing Co - Hop Whore (only one of the 3 special releases I got to) nice strong hop aroma. good example of double ipa.
- Victory Brewing - Twelve. Quadrupel. I got last pour from last bottle. strong, belgian, yummy.
- Cantillon Cru Bruocsella - man oh man. wonderful. Cantillon on draft? forget about it.
-February 8, 2008 Landmark Center, St. Paul
Attending: Don, Eric, Peter, Ryan, Dawn
- August Schell - Einbecker 1878 Doppelbock - complex, sweet but spicy, quite nice.
- August Shell - Dry Hopped Maifest Kellerbier - grassy dry hop, diff. nice.
- Barley John's Brew Pub - Munich Dark Lager - decent
- Barley John's Brew Pub - Belgian Tripel - not bad. strong. sweet. needs more time.
- Barley John's Brew Pub - Dark Knight 2006 - strong aroma, nutty, very complex, sherry, wonderful. One of best of the night.
- Barley John's Brew Pub - Rosies Raspberry Aged Old Ale - 1 sip. strong, tart, alc warming, pretty darn good.
- Fitger's Brewhouse - Park Point Pilsner - very nice, solid.
- Fitger's Brewhouse - Imperial Pilsner - quite nice, lots of Saaz. good stuff.
- Fitger's Brewhouse - Gale Force Cranberry Ale - hmm, not bad. kinda dry.
- Fitger's Brewhouse - Edmund Imperial Stout - complex, not my fav but interesting.
- Fitger's Brewhouse - Blue Label Grand Reserve Pinot Noir barrel aged - lil sip. tastes good.
- Fitger's Brewhouse - Bellsnickle Wheat Wine - super strong. not balanced. kinda harsh
- Fitger's Brewhouse - Hair O the Monk - all right
- Fitger's Brewhouse - Mr Spock Eisbock - strong, sharp, not very balanced
- Flat Earth Brewing - Cygnus X-1 Porter cask
- Flat Earth Brewing - Winter Warlock Golden Barleywine - thin, hot, not that great
- Great Waters Brewery - King Boreas Imperial Wit - wow, really nice. interesting, spicy, strong, quite nice.
- Great Waters Brewery - Trippel Braun - not crazy about it, not balanced.
- Great Waters Brewery - Brown Trout Brown - unbalaced, not very enjoyable
- Great Waters Brewery - The Black Watch Oat Stout - all right
- McCann's Food & Brew - Prairie Porter
- Minneapolis Town Hall - Eye of the Storm - very diff, much more honey flavor than normal, high alc % 11.4
- Minneapolis Town Hall - Granny Tripel - really nice, good balance, unique
- Minneapolis Town Hall - Barrel Aged Imp Stout - ok. Good but not remarkable
- Minneapolis Town Hall - Chocolate Rspberry Bourbon Stout - great, rasp, choc, very nice.
- Minneapolis Town Hall - Simcoe Pale Ale - great, earthy bright spice
- Rock Bottom - Fallen Angel Abby Ale - so so
- Rock Bottom - Smoke Porter - pretty nice
- Rock Bottom - Silver Mullet Oatmeal IPA - ok
- Summit Brewing Co. - Cask Conditioned IPA - all right
- Summit Brewing Co. - Cask Great Northern Porter - Coffee version. ok. not great.
- Surly Brewing - Smoke - nice beer
- Surly Brewing - Darkness - good as always, not as smooth as before (?)
- Surly Brewing - Two - very sweet and smooth then bam, dries out and tart comes in. complex. nice.
- Surly Brewing - Tea Bagged Furious - too grassy aroma and taste. didn't like.
Firkin Fest pictures
Happy Gnome, St. Paul, MN March 16, 2008
- Bells Brewery - Expedition Stout - oh my goodness. Unreal. Strong, cheek numbing, but smooth. Roast, alcohol, uff da.
- Bells Brewery - Java Stout - really nice. wonderful.
- Bells Brewery - Two Hearted - pretty nice
- Big Sky Brewing - Irish Stout - pretty drinkable. solid.
- Burton Bridge (England) - Damson Porter - many people liked this but it didn't quite work for me. Somewhat funky. Too long in the cask? Not my fav. I have a feeling it would have been better in England.
- New Holland Brewing - Dry hopped Mad Hatter - nice aroma, good.
- Summit Brewing - IPA - nice. much smoother than bottle.
- Summit Brewing - Winter - nice.
- Summit Brewing - Oatmeal Stout with Brett - well, it's Brett. sour milk smell. taste is ok but can't drink a lot of it.
- Surly Brewing - Darkness 2008. Only 3 weeks old. Brightness and tang because it is so young, yet the thick chewy Darkness is still there. Pretty unique and fun to try.
- Surly Brewing - Tea Bagged Furious - Better than some times I have had this beer tea bagged. Good.
- Surly Brewing - Oak Aged Bender - very oaky, unique wood flavor. Two oz is about enough.
- Victory Brewing - Hop Devil IPA - good.
- Oude Beersel Oude Gueze - only one I went back for a 2nd pour. I just don't get Guezes like this on tap very often. Murky orange color. quite nice, sour, tart. Would be great on a hot day.
I don't list these usually because there would be too many, but due to me being sick, and not getting there right away, these were the ones I did not taste:
- August Schells Unfiltered pils (I went up to get this but it was out)
- Bells Porter
- Flat Earth Cygnus X-1 Porter
- Lake Superior Disorder Porter (didn't really see this, thought about trying it)
- Summit Porter (I learned later it was primed with blackstrap molasses and now I wish I would have tried it)
Firkin Fest - picture set
Happy Gnome, St. Paul, MN March 21, 2009
*many of these samples were just one ounce (I was splitting with a friend).
- Avery Maharaja Double IPA - pretty nice. strong, bitter, like Dreadnaught. good stuff.
- Bells Two Hearted - great.
- Bells Hop Slam - so yummy. packs a wallop.
- Big Sky Dry Hopped Scape Goat Pale Ale - light in flavor (compared to many others we're drinking). ok though. c clean.
- Boulder Porter - really solid. good stuff.
- Brau Brothers - Sheep's Head Imperial Lucan Ale - pretty nice. a big glass would be good.
- Brau Brothers Espresso Cream Stout - meh.
- Breckenridge Brewery - 471 Series IPA - smells like a white wine. tastes is a little harsh. not keen.
- Dark Horse Brewing - Plead the 5th Russian Imperial Stout - (x2) warming, expansive, all encompassing, milky, sweet, roasty, bitter, boozy like a hug on a cold night, coffee, bitter chocolate. very nice. viscous, acrid and sweet, really great.
- Dark Horse Brewing - Crooked Tree - bursting with hop flavor. really nice. better than bottled versions I've had.
- Dark Horse Brewing - Double Crooked Tree - really great. wow, so smooth and strong, nicely done.
- Flat Earth - Northwest Passage - smells pretty bad but tastes ok. wouldn't seek it out.
- Flat Earth - Black Helicopter Coffee Stout - not bad. drinkable.
- Flying Dog - some hop aroma, pretty nice taste.
- Furthermore - Three Feet Deep - somewhat smoky. pretty good. (smoked stout).
- Goose Island - Midway IPA - drinkable and smooth.
- Goose Island - Special Bitter - ok.
- Great Divide - Yeti Imperial Stout - just a sip. ok.
- Harviestoun Brewery - Ola Dubh 12 yr Highland Park Scotch Whiskey - (strong ale aged in those barrels). you can really get the oak whisky character. wouldn't want a lot of it but very interesting.
- Lagunitas - Olde Gnarleywine - first sweet, then bitter. all right.
- Lagunitas - IPA - smells like sweaty socks.
- Left Hand - Milk Stout.
- Lift Bridge - Double Hopped Pale ale - all right.
- New Belgium -La Folie Brown (before it is sour) - fun to try and see what it is like. much less sour for sure.
- New Belgium - La Folie Love - partially sour. decent. La Folie aroma. sour but with more of the brown ale flavor, not all the way sour yet. fun to try.
- New Holland - Mad Hatter. ok.
- Rogue - Double Dead Guy - wow. a mouthful.
- Rogue - Mogul Madness - solid. not too bitter or sweet. decent.
- Rogue - Charlie - like Furious. hoppy. orangey.
- Schell - Oak Aged Stout - you can get the oak. fair.
- Steamworks - Whole Leafed Third Eye Pale - good hop aroma. good taste, solid.
- Steamworks - Conductor Imperial IPA on Oak - pretty decent. only small sample.
- Summit - IPA dry hopped with Amarillo - somewhat grassy but ok.
- Surly - Tea bagged Furious - nice.
- Surly - Oak Aged Bender - pretty oaky. I dunno. Not my favorite.
- Surly - Bitter Brewer. I've never appreciated this beer. Too bitter for its body.
- Surly 16 Grit - nice. smooth. great stuff.
- Thornbridge Brewery - Jaipur IPA - decently bitter esp for an English IPA. Earthy finish.
- Two Brothers - Bitter End pale ale - ok.
- Tyranena - Headless Man Amber Alt - solid as ever. really nice.
- Tyranena - Bitter Woman IPA - ok. so so
- Tyranena - Dirty Old Man Imp Rye Porter - smooth, roasty, tasty. really good.
Autumn Brew Review
Sept 12, 2009 pics
attending: Adam, Rob, Mike, Heather
-many of these samples were just a sip. :)
- Avery - Collaboration Triple (with Vinnie from Russian River) - nice, spicy. pepper?
- Barley John's - Triple Oat Stout - (three forms of oats) - really nice, good flavor, clean, good stuff.
- Barley John's - India Brown Ale - pretty good
- Bell's Rye Stout - very nice. good stuff.
- Big Sky Brewing - Buckin Monk Trippel - dang good. Slightly yeasty but clean and nice.
- Boston Beer Company - Sam Adams Beer Lovers Choice - Pils. decent.
- Boston Beer Company - Sam Adams Beer Lovers Choice - IPA (or just an ale?) meh.
- Brau Brothers - Fresh Hop Lager 2009 - pretty nice
- Brau Brothers - Lemongrass Infused Purple Sting (buckwheat honey rye ale) unique.
- Breckenridge Brewing - Small Batch 471 DIPA - solid. decent. bitter.
- Breckenridge Brewing - Small Batch 471 Porter - good.
- Choc - Belgian Style Amber. new to our market! Not bad. Moderately sour. ok.
- Cripsin Cider - Extra Dry. meh
- Cripsin Cider - more sweet. meh too. * both served with ice and made it super cold and hard to taste.
- Dark Horse - Rod - not bad, not great.
- Dave's Brew Farm - Say Zahn - spicy, zesty, light bodied, good.
- Dave's Brew Farm - Aubexxx - golden ale, black pepper, orange peel - not bad.
- Dave's Brew Farm - McAnderson - scotch ale w/molasses and rye. pretty good and somewhat unique.
- Dave's Brew Farm - Matacabras - unique. maltly. odd but ok.
- Eel River Brewing - Porter - pretty solid. only one left when I got there.
- Founders - Cerise - lotsa cherry. Sort of a poor mans Belgian Red.
- Furthermore - Three Feet Deep - decent, not great.
- Furthermore - Thermo Refur - very nice. great Brett character. really good.
- Grant Teton - Pursuit of Hoppiness - very nice. like Founder's Red's Rye
- Grant Teton - Lost Continent - sweet, strong, ~Hopslam. good.
- Grant Teton - Bitch Creek ESB - ok. kinda dry.
- Grant Teton - Sweetgrass IPA - less potent Lost Continent. pleasant.
- Great Waters - Ginger Wit - lots of ginger. Couldn't drink a lot but interesting.
- Great Waters - Hauch Von Rauch - smoked hefe. decent smoke. not very wheaty. not bad.
- Great Waters - Trainwreck - very interesting. complex, good.
- Great Waters - Zauer Brown - nice smell. Bob says Brett, but more? green apple, other tart fruit flavors. "classified" ingredients.
- Great Waters - Firkin Ryedonkulous Rye PA - pretty good.
- Herkimer - Gose - really nice. tart, refreshing, clean, good stuff.
- Lagunitas - Dark IPA - decent.
- Lift Bridge - Belgian Biscotti - different. ok.
- Magic Hat - #9 Not Quite Pale Ale - ok.
- Magic Hat - Lucky Kat IPA - ok.
- Magic Hat - Roxy Rolles Amber - ok.
- McCanns - Prairie Porter. ok.
- McCanns - Apricot Coriander ale - not too bad.
- New Belgium - Hoptober - hoppy, dry, ok.
- New Belgium - Bier De Mars - good. pleasant.
- New Holland - Ichabod Pumpkin ale - good, spicy, pumpkin.
- New Holland - Dragon's Milk - decent as usual. sweet.
- Rock Bottom - Hopfen Konig IPL. pretty good. hoppy.
- Snake River - Pale Ale - ok.
- South Shore - double maibock - pretty good.
- South Shore - other unlisted beer. fair.
- Southern Tier - Cuvee 2 - sugary sweet, kinda alcoholic but decent.
- Southern Tier - JahVa Imperial Coffee - so so nice.
- Summit - Horizon - cask - grassy dry hop. ok.
- Surly - bourbon Smoke - lotsa bourbon, pretty good.
- Surly - Coffee Bender, good as usual.
- Two Brothers - Moaten - mildly sour. ok.
- Tyranena - Deb and Glenn's Bourbon Barrel Aged blueberry Kinda Lambic - slight berry, but more bourbon. not very lambicy.
- Tyranena - Chocolate Imperial Porter - very nice.
- Tyranena - Hop Whore - good as always.
- Victory - Wild Devil - decent.
- Victory - Yakima Twilight Dark Double IPA - pretty tasty, alc somewhat hidden.
- Vine Park - English Premium Bitter - meh.
Firkin Fest - picture set
Happy Gnome, St. Paul, MN March 20, 2010
Some of these were just a sip, others were split samples, and some were the full 4 oz samples.
It was hard to take notes this year. They did not provide a program so I just scribbled notes on the back of the beer list.
In order of tasting:
- New Belgium "Shadow of the Foerder" - all right, a mildly sour 1554 (said to be 1/3 La Folie and 2/3 1554 Black ale).
- Dark Horse Plead the 5th - so nice.
- Bells Expedition Stout - kinda harsh. Bitter, roast astringency.
- Surly Darkness - really good. Smooth, strong and mellow (lower carbonation).
- Brau Brothers Eslihas Old Ale - don't like.
- Two Brothers Cane and Ebel - red rye tasting. nice.
- Harviestoun Ola Dubh 40 year old - smells noticeably like Scotch. pretty unique. Taste is nice too. Whisky flavors, somewhat sweet, warming. Fine.
- Tyranena Benji's Smoked Imperial Chipotle Porter - nice chipotle flavor but could be more viscous and malty.
- Goose Island Citra IPA - smells great. nice taste. clean, balanced, good stuff.
- Founders Red's Rye double hopped - hmm smells good. Taste is different than bottle. Not as clearn. Other earthy sweaty tastes.
- Avery Maharaja - catty! so potent. wow. no way I could drink a 22 [unlike Dreadnaught which I easily drank a 22 the next night].
- Lift Bridge Farmgirl Honey ginger girl - very nice. drinkable and unique.
- Summit Winter (Ahtanum) - super drinkable. really nice.
- Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree - unreal. really balanced and good.
- Summit EPA - hmm. kinda grassy with lower carbonation.
- New Holland Pilgrim's Dole - wake up slap. only ok.
- Two Brothers Bone Tree Weiss Wine - decent. better than Pil Dole (both were wheat wines).
- Lagunitas New Dogtown Pale - solid. decent.
-Fulton War and Peace - lots of coffee. Pretty good.
- Lake Superior Sir Duluth Cocoa Oatmeal Stout -nice. too cold. good. some spice, some flavor.
- Summit Oatmeal - ok. decent.
- Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter - really nice. Complex, balanced and good.
- Rogue Shakespeare Stout - smoother, less hop bitterness, more roast bitterness.
- Bells Hopslam - hmm. not as good as in bottle?
- Southern Tier Unearthly - nice. strong. good stuff. better than Hopslam right now.
- Surly Cynic - muddled flavor. so so.
- Goose Island Night Stalker - not bad. strong. little much.
- Victory Hop Wallop - ok.
- Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti - really nice. solild. could buy this.
- Schells Hopfenmalz - nice pils taste. hoppy and clean. good stuff.
Autumn Brew Review
Oct 02, 2010 got a free ticket through Eric and mnbeer.com
- 21st Amendment Brewery - Hop Crisis - didn't write a note down. good?
-August Schell - Shells' Stag Series No 2 - different for them. nice. spicy.
-Bells Brewery - Expedition Stout - cask - better than in bottle.
-Bells Brewery - Le Battuer - yeasty. pretty good.
-Bells Brewery - Le Pianiste - dry, fairly clear, amber, decent.
-Brau Brothers - Hundred Yard Dash - fresh hop ale - all right.
-Brau Brothers - Rubus Black - cask - pretty nice.
-Carmody Irish Pub and Brewing - Famine 47 Stout - not bad.
-Carmody Irish Pub and Brewing - Tipplers Golden - pretty good.
-Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree - served through a Randall with orange peels and hops - amazing aroma. foam tastes like a Dreamsicle. grassy, strong, nice flavor.
- Daves Brew Farm - Wheatless Wonder - nice, clean, weird concept but good (no wheat used).
- Daves Brew Farm - Saison Dandyclover - interesting spice. flavor is good.
- Daves Brew Farm - Lupulo Noir - black IPA. good stuff.
- Daves Brew Farm - AuBexx - sweet, strong, lavendar? he says no. good stuff.
- Deschutes Brewery - Jubel - strong, malty, good.
- Fitgers Brewhouse- Trampled by Hops - nice aroma. taste is so so. little too bitter.
- - Fitgers Brewhouse- Cherry batch - nice.
- Flying Dog Brewery - Fresh Hop Ale - very nice.
- Goose Island - Bourbon County Stout 2009 - very nice
- Sierra Nevada - 30th Anniversary - Barleywine - ok. not great. maybe get better with age?
- Surly Brewing - Imperial Brown Eye - not getting Belgian yeast. reminds me of mine with American Ale yeast.
- Surly Brewing - Jesus Juice - braggot aged in French oak pinot Noir barrel - totally smell the wine barrel. sweet, honey, interesting stuff. mead like but dark in color.
- Surly Brewing - Moe's Bender - it's a mess. no balance, just diff flavors hitting you.
- Surly Brewing - Darkness 2010 - more roast and smoke, less hop than 2009.
- Surly Brewing - Wet All the Way - dank, pungent, little much, so so.
- Town Hall Brewery - Fresh Hop 2010 - good stuff.
Winterfest - Feb 4, 2011. MN Historical Society/Museum
attending: Adam, Rob, Brian, Eric H
Barley Johns - Dark Knight - had it at end of night. good stuff.
Big Wood Brewing Co - Forest Ale - nice.
Big Wood Brewing Co - Morning Wood. low alc. 3.7%. lots of flavor.
Big Wood Brewing Co - Big Wood Imperial IPA. very nice. aroma is good. Imp? would buy.
Boathouse Brewpub and Restaurant - Alten Furz -ok
Boathouse Brewpub and Restaurant - No Style - hoppy! not bad but could use more balance, ala Bitter Brewer.
Boathouse Brewpub and Restaurant - Night Camp - smokey. like it.
Brau Brothers Brewing - MooJoos Oatmeal Milk Stout - solid enough.
Brau Brothers Brewing - Rubus Black Berry Imperial Porter - interesting and nice.
Brau Brothers Brewing - Double dry hopped Sheephead - think I sampled this. I meant to...
Fitgers Brewhouse - Great Lakes Series - Michigan. did not take notes. sampled all of these. fun to see they are doing some wild type of stuff.
Fitgers Brewhouse - Great Lakes Series - Ontario. did not take notes. sampled all of these. fun to see they are doing some wild type of stuff.
Fitgers Brewhouse - Great Lakes Series - Superior. did not take notes. sampled all of these. fun to see they are doing some wild type of stuff.
Great Waters Brewing Co - Old Tart. - think it was all right. Didn't make super strong impression.
Harriet Brewing Co - Divine Oculust - kind of yeast but not bad.
Leech Lake Brewing Co - Minobi ESB - so so.
Leech Lake Brewing Co - 47 deg North IPA - ok
Leech Lake Brewing Co - 3 Sheets Imp IPA -good.
Lift Bridge Beer - Kimono Farm Girl - with lemongrass in it. quite nice.
Rock Bottom - Hop Bomb Double IPA - great.
Rock Bottom - Pinot Barrel Modern Monk Dubbel - all right.
Rock Bottom - Coconut Chai Stout - so so.
Summit Brewing - Summit Winter on cask. so nice. great stuff.
Surly - Pentagram - good. Somewhat of a tang, from barrels? Enjoyable. Good sign. Had it at least twice.
Surly - Mole Smoke - lingering heat. interesting. works ok.
Surly - Darkness 2010 - small sample.
Surly - Tea Bagged Oak Aged Abrasive - very nice!
Town Hall - Saaz Pilz - ok.
Town Hall - Port Odin - really winey. ok.
Town Hall - Pink Eye -really sweet. kind of like pop. can't drink much.
Town Hall - Czar Jack - very nice.
© 2011 Don Osborn